OH MAMA! Sometimes you’re just craving something filling, delicious and simply put “not-the-most-heart-healthy,” and after suffering all day yesterday from a hangover…yes a hangover, like from drinking too much alcohol. What am I back in college?!? I rarely drink, let alone enough to warrant a hangover, but it was our wedding reception so I can do what I want. :) So when today rolled around and I was feeling well enough to stomach food other than toast, I found myself craving some greasy pub food something fierce!
And this hit the spot! A++
Despite eating it as my actual meal, it’s makes quite a great crowd-pleasing, large portions, easy to prepare appetizer or snack for a group get together (especially with football season kicking off, literally).
Crunchy, creamy, and oh-so-satisfying! This dip’s got flavor on flavor. It’s easy to prepare and a great savory dish to hit the-“I’m craving pub food”-spot.
Sometimes you eat a dip and think, “this is delicious, but I have no idea what’s in it.” Maybe that’s just me, but either way you can identify everything that is in this one so no need to worry.
Plus there are vegetables in this so it’s not a total diet buster. :) At least that’s what I like to tell myself occasionally. :)
Now that you’ve got your dip, you may be wondering…what now? Well you’re gonna need something to dip in it, and the beautify of it is that it can be anything your heart desires. I personally think it would be odd to eat with a spoon, but whatever floats your boat.
Our go-to would be tortilla chips, crostini, or our favorite gluten-free crackers—Glutino Bagel Chips, which we can find around here at Whole Foods or simply order online (love me that Amazon).
Though there are great alternatives to our top picks. How about trying sweet potato or vegetable Terra chips instead of traditional tortilla chips. Maybe set out some actual vegetable carrot and celery sticks.
Alternatively if you’re not into dipping (does this type of person even exist?), enjoy this dip by spooning it over your meal, like into a jacket potato or topping grilled chicken with it. Both tested and both scrumptious!
However I will always be Team VIVE LA CHIPS + DIP!
Looking for the original, non-vegan version? Check it out here.
Gluten-Free, Vegan Baked Vidalia Onion Dip
- 2 tbsp vegan butter substitute (like Earth Balance)
- 3 large Vidalia onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cup vegan cheese, shredded (like Daiya Pepperjack style shreds)
- 2 cups Vegenaise mayo
- 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp Sriracha or vegan hot sauce of choice, additional to preference
- Items for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in skillet, add onion and sauté 10 minutes until onions become translucent.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine together cheese, mayo, water chestnuts, white wine, and garlic.
- Stir in softened onion and spoon into 8-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes to set.
- Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or assortment of veggie sticks for dipping.