Breakfast is by far my favorite meal and my favorite genre of food. There’s something so comforting about it. Plus it’s delicious any time of day.
I love sleeping in but if breakfast is cooking, I’ll come a-running!
When the majority of my family went gluten- and dairy-free in the early 2000’s, options eating out and alternatives to basic ingredients were much harder to come by. Now restaurants are labeling menu items and alternatives are available at local grocery stores.
Growing up I would see french toast on menus and friends’ parents would make it after sleepovers, though unfortunately I was never able to eat it. Think about it—the batter is made of tons of eggs, whipping cream, butter, and bread. My stomach would likely die!
French toast is something my fiancé grew up eating so I decided to give it a go and was pleasantly surprised. I’m not one for overly-sweet breakfast items (of which my fiancé is), but we were able to preserve the idea and textures of traditional french toast without sacrificing the flavor.
And the crowd rejoices!
Note: Traditionally eggs are used to thicken french toast batter. We’ve substituted eggs with ground flaxseed meal as the binding agent and to up the nutritional value.
Gluten-Free, Vegan French Toast
- 1 cup almond milk or alternative milk of choice
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal (or chia seed meal)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, additional to preference
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vegan butter substitute
- 4-6 slices of gluten-free bread, toasted well
Toppings (optional, but recommended)
- Blueberries, strawberries, or other sliced fresh fruit
- Maple Syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Crushed nuts
- Mix milk, flaxseed meal, cinnamon and vanilla well in a wide-mouthed shallow dish.
- Heat griddle or pan to medium heat, melting 1 tbsp vegan butter.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for roughly 10-20 seconds each side. You want the bread to absorb enough to soften while maintaining its structure.
- Place batter-soaked bread on griddle and cook until underside is golden brown before carefully slipping and cooking the other side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately and add toppings if you want!