My fiancé isn’t usually a breakfast-person, but he will wake up for these bad boys! They are everything bakery-style muffins should be—fluffy, flavorful, and filling.
I’ve always been a fan of muffins. My mom would make them all the time growing up, especially pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, but we were always looking to expand our muffin-shaped horizons.
Now between the two of us, this combination is the best of both worlds. LeBraun grew up/still is obsessed with everything lemon, while I grew up with Ukrainian traditions which included a bunch of poppy seeds.
Poppy seeds are filled with nutrients and can be added to just about everything. Seriously we add them to cereal, smoothies, salad dressings…however you want to enjoy them. They’re slightly sweet and nutty.
I am exceptionally fond of the overall disposition of these muffins. They are bright, cheery, and fragrant (particularly if you top each with a simple lemon glaze).
Muffins are an excellent make-ahead, enjoy-anytime treat, whether you choose to warm them slightly in microwave for an easy way to break your fast or freeze them for a rainy day.
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE LEMON POPPYSEED MUFFIN
> For Dry Ingredients:>
- 3 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar 2 tbsp poppyseed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
> For Wet Ingredients:>
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk (or milk alternative of choice)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest, freshly grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute, melted and cooled
- Preheat over to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease the cups of a large muffin tin or place muffin liners in muffin tin cups.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, lemon juice and zest, and eggs.
- Gently fold wet mixture into dry mixture until just combined.
- Fold in butter substitute until batter is just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin tin cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, rotating the muffin tin halfway through. When muffins are golden brown, insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin to check if they’re done.
- Remove muffins from muffin tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
For added flavor, try adding a glaze! I particularly enjoy the added citrus punch from this lemon glaze. :)