Gluten-Free, Vegan Cherry Chocolate Smoothie
I’m never sure what day it is or where half my clothes are, but I do know one thing—I am constantly craving smoothies!
It doesn’t matter if it’s 9°C or -20°C outside, I’m going to get my smoothie fix just like LeBraun is going to get his Tims’ Ice Capp fix.
Now cherry + chocolate have always been one of my favorite combinations. I especially love chocolate-dipped cherries, or cherries on chocolate chip ice cream, or cherries in brownies, or cherries in brownies on ice cream, or in a milkshake with everything together!! :)
But since we’re on wedding diet—I promise we really are trying. It’s a constant struggle between loving food and knowing that bathing suits exist—we’ve been looking for ways to still be able to enjoy our favorite treats without completely blowing everything. Thus smoothies over milkshakes.
Smoothies vs. Milkshakes
Both cold, sweet beverages. The difference lies in what the main ingredient is. Is the focus on ice cream? Then you’ve got yourself a milkshake. If the focus is on the fruit, then you’ve got yourself a smoothie! Though I’m sure it’s actually more scientific than that.
Either way, doesn’t matter. Both are delicious!
February is all about couples, pairs, things, etc. that are made for each other, and chocolate-covered fruit is a straight Valentine’s Day staple. Tart cherries, sweet chocolate—decadent yet manageable in a lighter-than-a-milkshake treat to satisfy your cravings.
And considering it’s the month of looooove, might I suggest making a double batch of this pink drink—one for you and one for your sweetheart!
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN CHERRY CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen cherries
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or alternative milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, additional to taste
- 1 serving vegan vanilla protein powder (consult your brand for serving suggestion)
- Handful of ice cubes
- 1/2 tbsp vegan mini chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life), additional to preference
Note: If using fresh cherries, add a few more ice cubes to cool the drink down.
- Combine all smoothie ingredients and blend until desired consistency is reached.
- Adjust flavors to taste (i.e. more milk or cocoa powder)
- Pour into drinking glass and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Serve immediately.