It’s February 13th and you know what that means…GALENTINE’S DAY! This Leslie Knope (yes, Amy Pohler’s fictional character from the tv show Parks and Recreation) created holiday has quickly become a widely accepted alternative to the love-hate feelings people have towards February 14.
In case you’re not yet a Parks and Rec fan, Leslie’s Galentine’s Day is held annually on February 13th, and is all about ladies celebrated ladies. Instead of celebrating love with your significant other, the day is spend celebrating your best girlfriends! Leslie is fantastic at making everyone feel like they are the most important person in the world and we could all take a page out of her book.
There is no problem that Leslie can’t solve and her tidbits of her wisdom apply are universal.
Though Galentine’s Day is traditional celebrated as a brunch (Leslie’s favorite food is waffles, especially those form JJ’s Diner), cookies are the perfect party gift or sweet treat to send your lady friends home with.
Around Christmas we posted Gluten-free, Dairy-free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies which turned out to be quite popular so these are a fun twist on the original.
Festive-colored, fudgy-soft cookies each rolled in powdered sugar and baked to warm perfection.
So if you’re not feeling the “love” this February 14th, remember you still have something great celebrate—friendship!
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE RED VELVET CRINKLE COOKIES
- 1 (15 oz) box of gluten-free devil’s food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter substitute, softened
- 1 tbsp gluten-free red food coloring (like McCormick)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a short, wide-mouthed bowl combine powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, eggs, butter substitute, food coloring, and lemon zest. Gently blend with a spatula.
- Roll dough into roughly 1-inch balls.
- Then roll each in the sugar mixture until covered and place on prepared baking sheet roughly 2-inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until desired “doneness” is reached.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 1 minute before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.