It’s Cinco de Mayo amigos, and although I don’t need an obscure Mexican battle to tell me when to drink tequila or eat more than my fair share of guac + chips, it’s still fun to celebrate this delicious cuisine with everyone!
Bummer today is raining because sitting on a porch on a sunny May day with a big ole pile of crisp chips, a large bowl of guacamole + a salt-rimmed margarita on the rocks!
As much as I would love to enjoy that meal everyday, I’ve got to be practical. Everything in moderation, right?
Which is why when I’m craving those bright, bold Mexican flavors, but not the carbs, it’s time for salad!
A salad with those bright, bold Mexican flavors pumped right into the vinaigrette—cilantro, lime, jalapeños, garlic…Mmm!
This vinaigrette packs a punch. The citrus from the lime, spice from the jalapeño (I’ve definitely added in a second jalapeño for added heat before), and fresh cilantro blend so easily.
The base salad can be simple or you can go all out with a the traditional taco salad, complete with black beans, corn, tomatoes, avo slices + tortilla strips.
If you’re not feeling a salad, the vinaigrette is a perfect dressing when tossed with veggie sides and rice to as a dipping sauce for grilled chicken.
Either way, this vinaigrette is super simple—just throw everything into a blender or food processor—so you can spend more time enjoying your meal or company and less time prepping.
Gluten-Free, Vegan Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 scallion
- 1 small strip of jalapeño pepper, finally chooped, seed and ribs removed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse together until well combined.
- Pour into a small spouted container.
- Allow to rest in fridge for at least 1 hour (preferably more, if possible) before serving to allow flavors to infuse. (I promise it’s worth it!)
- Shake well before using.