Gluten-Free Mexican Street Corn Dip
Elotes, more commonly known as Mexican street corn to us English speakers, is a classic street treat. Juicy corn, charred then slathered in a creamy chili-lime sauce and sprinkled with cheese. If that sentence didn't make you want to try some, then I will have to reevaluate our friendship. :)
We LOVE cooking, but many of our favorite dishes tend to be more time consuming so we’ve adapted many into what we affectionately call “the lazy versions.” And since we’ve been moving around so much and often don’t have access to a grill, hence a stovetop version was born. It’s all about making do with what you’ve got, and what we’ve got is a love for delicious food A.S.A.P!
I remember the first time I tasted elotes. I was at Nashville’s chill taco trunk-turned-storefront by popular demand, Mas Tacos For Favor! We knew then that this is how corn is supposed to be eaten—charred, creamy and tangy! Mexican street fair at its finest.
GLUTEN-FREE MEXICAN STREET CORN DIP
- 4 cups canned corn kernels
- 2 tbsp vegan butter substitute
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz crumbles goat cheese or goat feta cheese
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeño, diced, added to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of one lime
- Pinches of salt, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add kernels are cook stirring occasionally until slightly charred, roughly 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine mayo, cheese, jalapeño, cilantro, and garlic, stirring until well blended.
- Add the lime juice and corn and blend until completely incorporated.
- Sprinkle spices over mixture and combine well.
- Cover and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour allowing the flavors to infuse.
Serve with chips or as a topping for tacos or other mexican favorites. Yum!