Frozen grapes are the perfect treat for those hot summer days, each bite delivering a refreshing burst of sweetness.
But hold up! They’re a twist to this classic tale—the grapes are marinated in wine! Yes, you heard me right!
Since the grapes and sugar bring the sweetness, a dry white wine works best to balances out the flavors. I recommend a Sauvignon Blanc. It’s one of the driest and crispest wines with very clean fruit and acidity balance.
A great addition to a charcuterie and cheese board for a party, porch-sitting afternoon or ladies’ night in!
Obviously they won’t stay frozen long if they are sitting outside so I usually bring them out towards the end as a little sweet ending to a gathering.
The hardest part of this recipe is actually waiting for the grapes to freeze. I keep wanting to sneak them before they’re ready. But hey, wine not?
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN WINE-MARINATED FROZEN GRAPES
- 2 1/2 cups red grapes
- 1 bottle (750 ml) of dry white wine (not all wine is vegan due to the filtering process, check your brand)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp sugar
- In large bowl, combine wine and 1/4 cup of sugar. Set aside until sugar dissolves.
- Add grapes to mixture.
- Store in fridge and allow grapes to marinate overnight.
- Strain liquid from the grapes. Make sure to save the liquid to enjoy later! :)
- Gently pat grapes with clean towel to dry slightly then roll in remaining 3 tbsp of sugar to coat.
- Place in freezer 2-4 hours until frozen. Enjoy!