It’s Friday, we did it! When I was working a traditional job at a PR firm, the one thing that consistently got me through the week was Fiesta Friday, where we’d go out for Mexican during lunch. Rice, beans, salsa, guac, chips, margs…the perfect ending to the work week.
So let’s Fiesta Friday (especially since we missed Taco Tuesday this week) with some Gluten-Free, Vegan Jackfruit Flautas! They’re straight up addicting!
We’ve made flautas previously with chicken, but as it’s still Veganuary we decided to mix them up with some jackfruit.
Jackfruit, a tropical fruit native to Asia in the same family as figs and breadfruit, is the largest tree-borne fruit in the world. A single jackfruit can weigh up to 100 pounds! Its green, bumpy exterior protects the pale-yellow bulbs that become jackfruit meat.
Once cooked and pulled, it resembles pulled pork. And since it’s crazy versatile it makes a fantastic plant-based meat alternative—adaptable flavor, meaty texture, and full of sustaining fiber and important nutrients! Fantastic for vegetarians, vegans and those interested in plant-based or simply healthier lifestyles.
Over the past couple years interest and availability of jackfruit has grown ten-fold. I’m seeing it on menus of all ethnicities and all over the country. You can even purchase a whole jackfruit from Whole Foods. I’m not sure I’ve got time to commit to figure out how to break down a whole jackfruit, like most people I would assume, but it’s also readily available in cans or cold sections with brands like The Jackfruit Company.
In fact it was The Jackfruit Company’s Text-Mex Jackfruit bag that caught my attention at Publix and inspired to alter our favorite flautas recipe for Veganuary!
Flautas, also known as rolled tacos or taquitos, are filled tortillas that are baked, fried, or deep-fried and topped with condiments such as guacamole, sour cream, and/or salsa! I like all of the words in that last sentence.
I would love a deep-frying but that would definitely be a problem for me diet-wise so we stick ours in the oven and they crisp-up quite nicely. Or muy amable since we’re going tex-mex. :)
Each crispy, rolled flauta is filled with a southwestern savory combination of spices, vegetables, and of course meaty jackfruit! And each bite packs a flavor punch finished with bright, rich toppings…how do you say, “I’ll take 20 more,” in Spanish?
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN JACKFRUIT FLAUTAS
- 2 (10 oz) packs of The Jackfruit Company Tex-Mex Jackfruit
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1+ jalapeño, diced (additional to taste)
- 1/2 cup Daiya Vegan Pepperjack or vegan cheese of choice
- 1/2 Daiya Vegan Cheddar Style Shreds
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 packet gluten-free, vegan taco seasoning
- 2 (7 oz) Siete Almond Flour Grain Free Tortillas or tortillas of choice, unthawed in fridge
- Additional vegan cheese for sprinkle on top
Optional, But Recommended Toppings:
- Vegan sour cream (like Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream)
- @Studioist Guacamole
- Cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook jackfruit stovetop on medium heat for 5 minutes. Break the large pieces up with the spatula then add to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the remaining filling ingredients to the mixing bowl, stirring until well combined.
- Warm the tortillas according to package instructions. This helps the tortillas roll without ripping and stick together once rolled.
- Divide the mixture amongst the prepared tortillas, rolling each and placing on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top with additional cheeses.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and the tortillas are a crunchy, golden brown.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.