There is a reason cookies are the perfect dessert for any occasion. They come in tons of shapes, sizes, flavors—you name it! I’m sure there are people out there who don’t like them, but 1. I’ve never met them, and 2. That may be a friendship deal-breaker.
Definitely a go-to dessert for me, cookies are the perfect crowd-pleasing, party food. Especially around the holiday season.
One of my personal favorites (and not just because for me: “oats” = “healthy”)! They’re sweet yet not too sweet. Simple, classic and pure deliciousness. They’ve got just enough crumble on the edges to make you want another, while the centers remain soft. Mmm!
A simple base cookie can also lend itself to festive exploration—add a glaze, add some color, sprinkle seasonal candy pieces on top…whatever floats your boat!
Personally I like to keep them original, though my fiancé is partial to a glaze. Check out my top four favorite glazes here. What’s your favorite style?
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE OATMEAL COOKIES
yields: 2 dozen
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free quick oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugars with an electric mixer.
- Add egg, vanilla, and water. Blending well.
- Mix in salt, baking soda, cinnamon.
- Add flour.
- When just combined, fold in the oats.
- Spoon tbsp-size scoops onto prepared baking sheet, spaced roughly 2.5-inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer appear gooey.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Note: These are sweet on their own, but if you want to add a little something extra, I recommend a glaze!