We like cookies, yes we do! We like cookies, how ‘bout you?
Ooh cookies, what can we say about them…In one word: AWESOME. Cookies are awesome.
Is there anything better than walking into a house of freshly baked cookies? They’re dang good, portable, and versatile. Cookies come in countless varieties - peanut butter, oatmeal, ginger, pumpkin…any flavor or texture or ingredients you can imagine can be used to create the cookies of your dreams.
Although I think we can all agree that there is something simplistically classic about Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfect. They’re everything cookies should be. Crispy edges, chewy centers with sweet morsels of chocolatey goodness sprinkled throughout. They’re straightforward and delicious—especially along side a glass of cold (almond) milk!
Well National Cookie Month has turned us into cOoKiE mOnStErS. That’s right, we don’t need Halloween costumes this year because we have literally turned blue and fuzzy and all we talk about is cookies.
So we decided to take our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and crank it to nine…no wait…ELEVEN!
When we were at Whole Foods this past week we stumbled across Cocomels Organic Coconut Milk Caramels. Now let me tell ya, caramels just happen to be my favorite, and finding them dairy-free - especially in a harden candy - is more difficult than you would think. So we bought a couple bags. Hooray!
Well all that sweetness, it needs a salty counterpart. Cue pretzels.
That’s right, we added sweet, gooey caramel and crunchy, salty pretzels.
And the best part—we have no regrets! They were a smashing success, an instant hit…each bite a flavor explosion in your mouth. Sweet + salty. Chewy + crunchy. Plus they are still cookies, soooooo we’re gonna eat them anyway. :)
The hardest part? Not eating them in one sitting.
Happy Hump Day!
Also I would love, love, love to see your creations so if you try one of studioist’s recipes or have a favorite you think we should try, let us know by tagging #heystudioist on Instagram.
Gluten-Free, Vegan Sweet & Salty Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp alternative milk of choice, additional as needed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup vegan mini chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free pretzels (n1), roughly chopped
- 10-12 vegan caramels, cut in half (like Cocomels Organic Coconut Milk Caramels, we used the sea salt version), additional if needed
- Gluten-free pretzel twists for pressing into cookies, optional
- Extra sea salt for sprinkling on cookies, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine. The dough will be dry at first so add additional milk by the tbsp, combining well after each addition, as needed until a dough texture is achieved.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chopped pretzels until well distributed.
- Roll dough into roughly 1 1/2 tbsp-sized balls.
- Push 1/2 caramel slice into the center of each ball, making sure the caramel is completely enclosed when re-rolling into a ball.
- Place on prepared baking sheet roughly 2 inches apart.
- Optional: Gently press a pretzel twist on top of each cookie and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place sheet with cookie dough balls in fridge.
- When chilled, bake for 11-14 minutes. The cookies will look undercooked when you take them out.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes to firm before transferring to wire rack and allowing to cool completely.
n1. Glutino Gluten Free Pretzel Twists are certified gluten-free, dairy-free, but aren’t certified vegan as they cross-contamination may occur from other products.