Can y’all believe we are already two weeks away from the official start of Spring? Weather-wise, Spring has been in Nashville for almost a month even though I have been holding on to every last ounce of winter.
Today I couldn’t resist any more. It was too GORGEOUS outside. Bright sunshine, clear blue skies, 73 degrees, and yards full of daffodils and pansies already in bloom—the perfect weather for a picnic. And what’s a picnic without some fresh fruit. :)
This dressing is light, fresh and can be whipped together with minimal ingredients; ones you probably already have around the house.
With just enough sweetness to emphasize the strawberries, this dressing is the perfect compliment to any Spring or Summer dish.
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN STRAWBERRY POPPY SEED VINAIGRETTE
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into halves, twice
- 1-2 tsp of water
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In small pot over medium heat, combine strawberries, sugar, salt and water. Stirring frequently, until the strawberries will begin to soften, roughly 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to blender or food processor. Blend the strawberry mixture until it becomes a paste-like mash.
- Strain mixture through fine sieve to remove any remaining large chunks. Allow to cool.
- Combine strawberry juice with oil, vinegar, and poppy seeds.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Store remaining dressing in airtight container.