Gluten-Free Roasted Broccoli + Almonds (Dairy-Free Optional)
The one thing I usually find lacking at Thanksgiving dinners are the vegetables. I feel like people are preoccupied with the preparing the turkey, stuffing, and potatoes that the vegetables are usually an afterthought. (Yes, potatoes are technically a vegetable but they’re starchy, and I’m talking about quality, colorful veggies!)
But there are so many unique ways to prepare vegetables, AKA something everyone will like, and countless recipes that require minimum effort and skill, so there is no excuse to serve mushy, flavorless vegetables from a steamer bag or can.
These roasted broccoli are a real crowd-pleaser. The broccoli still has structure and crunch, all with a dash of spice of the pepper flakes, a hint of sweetness from the almonds, and a bit of salt from the pecorino. Plus garlic. In my opinion you can never have too much garlic. :)
Skip the pecorino if you’re looking to make the broccoli dairy-free and therefore vegan as well.
GLUTEN-FREE ROASTED BROCCOLI & ALMONDS (Dairy-Free Optional)
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped into consistently-sized florets (You can buy 2-3 bags of fresh, pre-chopped broccoli if you’re on a time crunch)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 tsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp pecorino cheese, finely grated*
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil and garlic.
- Add broccoli and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Arrange florets in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast 10 minutes.
- Flip broccoli and sprinkle almond slices over florets.
- Roast for additional 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender enough to be pierced with a fork (but not too soft or mushy). The broccoli should be caramelized and the almonds toasted.
- Remove from oven then toss with lemon juice and cheese.
- Serve immediately.
*Pecorino optional for dairy-free, vegan version.