Gluten-Free, Vegan Cashew Cream
As we start adding more vegan eats to the site, we thought we would start with a great vegan base—cashew cream! It’s seriously a life-changing as it can be used countless ways.
Provided you do not have a nut allergy, cashew cream is a great neutral base formula for a number of delicious dish additions. Savory cashew cream can be turned into vegan Alfredo sauce, cheese dip, dressing for bowls, or dips for veggies and chips. It is a simple dairy-free alternative to sour cream as well. I personally like add a dollop of it to my soups.
Sweetened cashew cream can be used as whipped cream, dip for fruit, or a dairy-free alternative for a number of items in vegan baking. I’ve even heard of people using a variation as coffee creamer.
Note: Definitely stay tuned for some of recipes of some of the variations listed above :)
The texture and consistency can range from yogurt to thin dressing depending on the freshness of the cashews, soaking time, and amount of liquid added.
Remember—The longer the cashews soak, the creamier the cream will be!
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN CASHEW CREAM
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water, additional to consistency preference
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- Soak cashews in water for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Drain cashews and add to blender with remaining ingredients.
- Blend on medium speed until smooth.
- Add additional water if you prefer thinner cream.
- Store additional in airtight container in the fridge, stirring well before serving.