Sorry I have been slacking on the posting and recipe front recently. Life ya no? So I guess I am cramming in a few more Thanksgiving recipes for you, especially because no Thanksgiving meal would be complete without gravy.
Despite everything being extra tasty and delicious on Thanksgiving, I would be lying if I still didn’t smother it all with gravy.
There’s just something about rich, creamy, flavorful gravy that takes this giant family meal over the top. I feel like I only get to enjoy gravy when November rolls around. What’s that about?
This gravy is sooo good I want to be enjoying it year-round.
Yes gravy is delicious. That's just a fact.
And this Gluten-Free, Vegan Creamy Mushroom Gravy is no exception. It’s filled with so much flavor, well-seasoned, and surprisingly simple to make.
I don’t have experience making traditional gravy, but this just seems generally easier…and healthier.
It does still have cream, but that’s not the focus and there is no fat drippings or cheese so I would be bold enough to say it’s healthier.
Healthy and convenient. As all Thanksgiving dishes should be. No one wants to spend their holiday sweating away cooking and cleaning in the kitchen when they could be enjoying the company of the family and friends.
So to recap: This mushroom gravy is easy to prepare, rich, flavorful, creamy, and perfect to satisfy all your guests—whether they are gluten-free and/or vegan or neither—it’s a real winner!
Creamy Gluten-Free, Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tbsp vegan butter substitute (like Earth Balance)
- 1 cup Shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp garlic mince
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (n1)
- 1 tsp Tamari ot gluten-free soy sauce
- Melt butter substitute in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper to pan then sauté until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, roughly 7 minutes.
- Add flour and toss till mushrooms and onions are well coated. Allow to brown slightly.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Stir in the broth and cream.
- Simmer roughly 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Add Tamari and stir well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to taste preference.
- Remove from heat and serve warm (n2).
n1. You can buy a can of coconut cream, but if only coconut milk cans are available simply place the can in the fridge for several hours, open the can carefully as to not shake it up, and scope the coconut cream solids out. The cream will separate from the milk. Alternatively you can easily make your own Gluten-Free, Vegan Coconut Cream.
n2. As with most gravy, this one get thicker when cooled, but a short microwave stint brings it back to its stove top consistency.