There are so many readily available gluten-free, dairy-free, even vegan alternatives nowadays, but sometimes you’ve just got to buck up and do it yourself. Especially when the dish highly depends on the product.
I’ve never found a ready substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup—a key ingredient in numbers casserole dishes. So when the holiday season rolls around, I know I’ll be making this recipe more than once.
Thankfully it’s straight-forward, flavorful, and simple.
Double it up for extra to keep on hand during the holiday season. Store in fridge.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 5 tbsp vegan butter substitute
- 10 oz box of mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp salt, additional to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, additional to taste
- 2 tbsp all-purpose, gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, additional as needed
- Optional—you could add other spices to preference. Thyme and rosemary are both lovely additions.
- Melt butter substitute in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stirring frequently, sauté until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
- Add flour, toss until well coated, and continue cooking for roughly two minutes.
- Pour in broth and stir to combine. Allow mixture to simmer until desired consistency is reached. Stir frequently as the mixture will thicken quickly.
- Adjust broth and seasoning to preference.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, then use in your favorite recipes.