Make: Brie, Apple, Honey + Walnut Crostini
I can not stop eating these! I love recipes with amazing flavor combinations—sweet, salty, crunchy, tangy and fresh all in one bite—count me in!
I used to make a grilled cheese version of these when I was younger, but crostini-versions are more elegant and easier for people to grab and snack on. These make an excellent mid-day, spring treat, pair well with wine and feel healthier than straight, traditional cheese dip.
The freshness of the apple, the creaminess of the cheese, crunchiness (that’s a word, right?) of the bread and sweetness of the honey (or sugared nuts) are sure to impress all your friends. Iron Chef [insert your name comes] ready to party!
BRIE, APPLE, HONEY & WALNUT CROSTINI
- 1 baguette
- 2 green apples
- 8 oz brie (I use goat brie!)
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (like walnuts or pecans)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice baguette into 1/4-1/2 inch slices. Whatever thickness you choose, try and be consistent so they brown evenly. Place the slices in rows on large baking sheet.
- Slice brie into thin pieces and place on top of each crostini. Place sheets in oven and bake 4-6 minutes or until brie is melted and baguette crust turns golden.
- While baking sheets are in oven, thinly slice the apples. Make sure to remove the core.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the apple slices to slow down the browning.
- When the crostini are done, carefully transfer the crostini onto serving tray. Top with apple slices, sprinkle with chopped nuts and lightly drizzle with honey. Enjoy immediately!
*For another variation, try substituting the chopped nuts for chopped, sugared nuts. These sugar coated pecans will do the trick!