Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chicken + Stuffing Casserole
Nothing says easy like a casserole and few things are more delicious. Especially if your my fiancé and the casserole in question is chicken & stuffing.
He would eat it everyday if it was available, but in the interest of a balanced diet we reserve it as a special treat (i.e. his birthday and holidays).
This gluten-free, dairy-free version is slightly more work than the original simply because the cream of mushroom soup is being made from scratch. Though that just means it made with extra love, right?
The balance of the crunchy stuffing top, creamy vegetables and meaty chicken center is at the heart of this savory and comforting casserole.
In fact, we’re going to snuggle up on the couch and enjoy some casserole while finally catching up on this season of G.O.T.
Also kudos to Glutino for their gluten-free stuffing. It’s well seasoned and an easy alternative to the traditional.
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE CHICKEN + STUFFING CASSEROLE
- 1 rotisserie chicken, pulled and shredded
- 2 (8 oz) boxes of Glutino gluten-free cornbread stuffing
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp vegan butter substitue
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 oz fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-5 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup alternative milk (I used soy)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (like Tofutti)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp of vegan butter.
- Add onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Sauté 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are soft.
- Blend in flour 1 tbsp at a time, stirring between each addition. Vegetables should be well coated so add additional tablespoons as needed.
- Add the chicken broth and milk. Continuously stir and heat until slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream and heat to thicken while stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Spread the contents of the first box of stuffing and 1/3 of the second box evenly across the bottom of a 9x13” casserole dish.
- Next, layer the shredded chicken on top of the stuffing.
- Pour cream of mushroom soup over the chicken layer.
- Gently prod with a fork to help some of the soup mixture seep through the layers.
- In a small bowl, melt 2 tsp butter in microwave. Add remaining stuffing crumbs and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the soup layer.
- Lightly cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for 15-25 minutes or until the dish is bubbling around the edges and up from the bottom. It should be completely heated through.
- Allow to cool and set for 8-10 minutes before serving, otherwise it may be too runny.
Note: My fiancé thinks it’s even better as leftovers the next day!