Who doesn’t love a great casserole? If you don’t, we may not need to be friends. :)
Everyone has holiday traditions and our family’s Thanksgiving traditions has always been to allow each member to select which dish they would like to eat for dinner.
This leads to some pretty eclectic and not-so-balance meals, but everyone is happy because they get to enjoy something special, something they’ve been craving.
Despite everyone having an option, there is one recipe that someone always picks because it is FREAKIN’ AMAZING, and that’s Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Broccoli Casserole.
Broccoli Casserole has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember. Several years ago we began adapting it for our gluten-free, dairy-free lifestyle and we’re still just in love with it.
It’s one of those “special occasion dishes.” Something you shouldn’t eat everyday, but is the ultimate comfort food…well at least in my family.
Plus for the most part you can make it ahead of any holiday gatherings, ultimately saving you from a day of living in the kitchen while everyone else is relaxing on the couch.
Living in Nashville for 17+ years has taught me several things, one of which being that Southerns love their casseroles! So when we shared this casserole at holidays, it was an instant hit.
In the battle of Thanksgiving casseroles—green bean vs. broccoli—broccoli wins everytime! It’s just that good.
The slight crunch of the broccoli, the creaminess of the mushroom soup and the crispy cracker topping…it’s a home run!
Mmm…I am drooling already and can’t wait until tomorrow night to indulge in this family fave!
What are your family favorite recipes for the holidays? Is there something you always serve? Or something that is a tradition for your family? I’d love to hear your stories!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Broccoli Casserole
- 1 1/4 cup Studioist Gluten-Free, Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 6 cups fresh broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup light mayo
- 1 cup shredded alternative cheese of choice (we used Daiya)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 box (6 oz) Glutino Gluten-Free Bagel Chips, or GF/DF crackers of choice
- 4 tbsp vegan butter substitute, melted
- Prepare Gluten-Free, Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup according to recipe. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In steamer pot, cover and steam broccoli over simmering water for roughly 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender yet still crunchy.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish, creating an even layer.
- In a large bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, onion, mayo, cheese alternative, eggs, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture evenly over broccoli in baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling around the edges.
- In the meantime, add crackers to large Ziploc bag, seal, and crush into “breadcrumbs”.
- Add butter and shake to mix well.
- Remove casserole from oven, sprinkle cracker mixture across the top, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the crackers are golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes to set before slicing and serving.