Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Garlic Knots
Did you know they sell Olive Garden’s salad dressing at Kroger? LeBraun grew up eating at Olive Garden and has been constantly eating it since bringing a bottle home. He eats it on everything from salad to chicken to potatoes…really anything can be drowned in sauce, will be drowned in sauce. But by far his favorite—garlic breadsticks.
He’ll grab a box of garlic breadsticks when we go to the store from time to time, but now it’s almost every time, and of course they are full of dairy and gluten.
It’s not so much that he keeps buying them (though he probably should start watching his breadstick intake now); however, the smell is what is driving me crazy.
Driving me crazy because I want garlic breadsticks too + obviously can’t have them!
So this week I took matters into my own hands and made some super simple, yet satisfyingly delicious garlic knots from my new favorite find—Wholly Wholesome Gluten-Free Pizza Dough!
It’s insanely good! Not just for pizza (or calzones as I made), everything dough-related is a great job for this dough. Side note: I even made some pizza dough cinnamon buns from this dough before.
Basically it takes the trouble out of making gluten-free dough. I can’t tell you how many recipes I have tried for a good + versatile gluten-free dough. The number is way up there. Some have been more successful then others, but this dough is already made and found right in the freezer of my local grocery store.
Unfortunately for my diet, it means that pizza night will become a weekly occurrence! :)
Sorry for the detour, back to the point: This dough was my solution for perfect in a pinch, savory, buttery garlic knots to pair with my Italian dinner.
Simply roll the dough into a log, slice evenly, then roll each slice into a smaller log before tying each in a simple knot. Spread on buttery, garlic mixture, bake, spread with more of the mixture and serve with dinner or a side of red sauce for dipping.
When I am in a pinched for dough, form now on I am turning to Wholly Wholesome’s dough!
GLUTEN-FREE GARLIC KNOTS
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute, melted
- 2 tbsp Pecorino, finely grated
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 (14 oz) bag of Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pizza Dough
- Allow dough to defrost either in the fridge overnight or at room temperature for 4+ hours until thoroughly thawed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together vegan butter, Parmesan or Parmesan alternative, and seasonings in a small bowl.
- Divide mixture evenly into two bowl and set aside.
- Remove the dough from packaging and shape into a consistent diameter 12-inch roll.
- Halve the roll, halve the two rolls, then halve the four rolls creating 16 total pieces.
- Roll each piece into a consistent 5-inch rope and tied in a knot, gently pressing the ends down. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
- Brush the knots with all the seasoning mixture in one of the bowl and bake 10-14 minutes or until golden browned and cooked to preference.
- Remove from oven, brush mixture from second bowl over knots, and serve immediately.
Notes: It’s best to work quickly with the dough and it can become quite sticky with the warmth of your fingers.