I picked back up at Pure Barre this week and am BEYOND sore, but it’s Saturday and I’m going to treat myself…to a humongous helping of these decadent beauties!
I’ve been feeling a bit lazy (partly because of workouts) recently with my baking/cooking regiments, finding shortcuts and cheating a bit here and there to give myself more time to hang with my family while we’re visiting them in Virginia.
My youngest brother is BY FAR the busiest high schooler ever. He seriously has something scheduled everyday. If it’s not track, it’s sign language. It it’s not horseback riding, it’s lacrosse. I mean I remember being swamped in high school, but I have no idea how I made it through. Whew!
Speaking of which, my 10 year high school reunion is coming up next month + it makes me feel like a dinosaur. I feel like I should have more things together. Be a more adulterer adult. But then that just sounds terrible and I’d rather be doing what I am doing then “settled into adulthood…with responsibilities…and a mortgage". Yuck! (In all honesty I had to spell check “mortgage,” that is not how I would have spelled it at all.) However to each his own.
Anyway how do i get so off topic? It’s a miracle if I write something that would actually be beneficial or related to this recipe, especially when these are DANG DELICIOUS!!!
I mean what a combo! Creamy chocolate, crunchy pecans in a caramel-esque sauce on top of a sugar cookie crust. Wedding diet starts tomorrow, am I right?
Though I do find myself saying that about once a week. My will power hovers around 2 at best. My options are usually 1. eat just one + 2. eat the entire pan.
When it comes to desserts I don’t find myself making a ton of bars; however, I think that should change. They are crazy easy to make, especially this “lazy” version where you don’t have to make the dough from scratch, and an excellent treat to bring to a porch party or backyard get together as the weather has finally figured out it’s Spring!
So whip these up and enjoy more time outdoors!
Reminder: April 14 is National Pecan Day!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Bars
- 1 (16 oz) box cookie mix (I used King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Cookie Mix)
- Ingredients for dough preparation listed on box
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup vegan butter substitute
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips, additional to preference
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare cookie dough according to directions..
- Press cookie dough evenly into bottom of uncreased 13x9-inch pan.
- Sprinkle pecans evenly over crumb mixture.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter and brown sugar, stirring constantly until surface is bubbly. Allow to bubble for 1 minute before removing from heat.
- Pour evenly over pecans.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until surface is bubbly all over.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow to melt 3 minutes before using a small spatula to spread chocolate evenly over butter mixture.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars with a sharp knife.