I hope everyone had a much-deserved, delicious and fun Thanksgiving break! Hopefully the drama was kept to a minimum and time was spent well spent with loved ones.
It was our first Thanksgiving in New York state. The house was only semi-unpacked, boxes still littering corners of rooms, but seven of us gathered around the kitchen island—aka our makeshift dining room table—on stools of varying heights and we drank sparkling cider then enjoyed mahi-mahi, broccoli casserole and pretzel salad. Heck, we didn’t even have enough stools for everyone. Liz ate her meal from the second step of a three-tiered step ladder. Haha Seriously though, I am not making that up.
Some might eclectic, but I’d say that’s just our family. We roll with whatever.
Post-dinner, we all laid on the floor of my parents’ room (since there’s not furniture in there), watched Elf, and napped. So overall that’s what I consider a success!
Now I don’t know where you’re tuning in from, but here on Long Island there is a definite chill in the air that can only mean one thing—Christmas is right around the corner.
All the signs are there. People are hunkering down in their comfy sweats, Christmas lights are popping up around the neighborhood, fires are crackling in their hearths, and chicken noodle soup is warming everyone from the inside out!
There’s something special about chicken noodle soup. It’s the perfect comfort food for every situation. Whether your sick…or had a bad day…or are chilly, chicken noodle soup will always and has always been there for you.
LeBraun know that if I so much as sniffle during the day, we’re having chicken noodle soup for dinner.
But since it’s still World Vegan Month, today we enjoyed big ole bowls of Gluten-Free, Vegan Chicken-less Noodle Soup!
A childhood favorite upgraded to an adult version!
Hearty, flavorful, and filling. With all the comfort and warmth you expect from this classic!
Just writing about this soup is making me crave another bowl. Seconds here I come!
Gluten-Free, Vegan Chicken-less Noodle Soup
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp cooking oil, divided
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, additional to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, additional to taste
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts (8 cups) vegetable broth (n1)
- 8 oz Jovial Fusilli Gluten Free Pasta (n2)
- 1 bag (9 oz) frozen Beyond Meat Beyond Grilled Chicken Strips
- 2 scallions for topping, sliced
- Bread or crackers for serving, optional
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, chickpeas, celery, mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, and the bay leaf to the pot.
- Sauté until veggies are slightly softened, stirring often.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add the noodles to the broth and cook on high heat, stirring frequently, for 8-9 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a medium pan over medium heat add remaining 2 tsp cooking oil.
- Add Beyond Meat Beyond Grilled Chicken Strips cooking for 5-7 minutes until stripes are warmed through. Test for doneness.
- Chop chicken strips into bite-size pieces and add to soup pot.
- Remove from heat, top with scallions, and serve.
- Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator.
n1. If you prefer broth-ier soups, you may want to add more broth than the recipe calls for. I love hearty, chunky soups so 8 cups was perfect for my preferences.
n2. I love noodle-y soup so I used the whole box, but if you want less noodles try using only three-quarters of the box.