When your boyfriend prefers cookies over cakes, you make a cookie cake for this birthday! We usually head to the mall to pick one up, but this year I wanted to serve something everyone could enjoy—a gluten-free, dairy-free version of America’s favorite cookie!
This was my first attempt at a cookie this large and I was worried it would brown on the edges too much before the center was completely cooked through. Luckily I remembered a little pie baking trick: covering the pie lightly with foil for part of the cooking time. The foil deflects the heat. My cake edges still ended up being slightly more brown that I wanted, but the foil definitely helped.
The flavor and texture was spot on to those famous mall cookie cakes. In fact, my boyfriend didn’t know I baked it until I told him, though he probably should have noticed the based on the quality of icing design. Oh well, he still loved it! The only words to describe it according to him, “awesome sauce!”
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE COOKIE CAKE
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter substitute, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 cups of vegan chocolate chips, to taste (like Enjoy Life)
- Frosting (optional for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease 12-inch pizza pan with lip (to prevent spills).
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- In stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together on medium speed with paddle attachment until smooth.
- Add eggs and beat until well combined.
- Then blend in vanilla extract.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in the stand mixing bowl.
- When well mixed, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press the dough into an even layer in the prepared pan.
- Lightly cover pan with foil and bake 20-30 minutes, removing foil after 15 minutes. The finished cake should be lightly golden brown and a toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.
- Gently loosen the cake edges from the pan, decorate with frosting to preference, slice, and serve.