Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Butter Tart Pie/Squares
Sometimes you are just craving something and you don't have the time or patience to make the recipe the original way. Instead you opt for what in our house we call "the lazy version."
And that's exactly what it is—the same flasky, buttery pastry crust and brown sugar, raisin filling without the hassle of making individual tarts.
With all our savory Ukrainian Christmas prepping last week, we were craving sweet, sweet butter tarts for dessert and simply ran out of time, hence one LARGE butter tart. It satisfied our craving and was the perfect last-minute addition to our Christmas Eve feast.
Note: It's not a part of a traditional Ukrainian Christmas menu, but a quintessential Canadian delicacy.
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE BUTTER TART PIE/SQUARES
- 1 bag of gluten-free pie crust mix (like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 3 cups raisins
- 2 cup butter, softened (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch+ of salt
- Prepare gluten-free pie crust mix according to package.
- In small bowl, cover raisins with hot water and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a round pie pan or 9x11-inch baking pan.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan (like pie crust) and place in fridge to set.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt and stir until butter is creamed.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Drain raisins.
- Pull pastry-layered pan out of the fridge, scatter the raisins evenly across the pastry.
- Bake for 20-40 minutes or until the filling is lightly browned and bubbling. Baking time will depend on 1) the size of the pan you decide to use, and 2) your filling texture preference. The longer you leave them in the oven the more firm the filling will become. If you like them runny, pull them out earlier.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from pan and serving. If using a round pan, cut into slices from center. If you are using a rectangular pan, cut into squares as needed.