I often find myself craving a warm cuppa in the afternoon and alternate between soothing tea with honey, a spicy almond milk chai, or some turmeric milk (aka coconut golden milk).
Golden Milk is a creamy combination of coconut milk (or your dairy-free alternative milk of choice), ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, and of course turmeric, hence the bright gold color and how the drink gets its name.
Turmeric is renowned around the world for it’s powerful health benefits. As an anti-inflammatory it’s great to ease pain as well as assisting in overall heath of skin, hearts, and immune system health.
Then there’s ginger—a superfood in its own right, aiding in digestion, motion sickness, pain and nausea relief.
As for the base, you really can use whatever dairy-free alternative milk you prefer, but I find that coconut milk provides added creaminess and sweetness without the subtle aftertaste (like almond milk has).
Why wait for the new year or Monday to start becoming a healthier, happier you. Start today with an detoxifying afternoon cup of golden milk.
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN GOLDEN MILK
- 2 cups coconut milk (or dairy-free milk alternative of choice)
- 1 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of ground peppercorns
- 1 tsp agave or preferred sweetener (like honey if not vegan)
- Whisk all ingredients until well blended.
- Simmer in a small pot over medium-low heat for 7-10 minutes or until heated through and fragrant.
- Adjust flavors and sweetness to taste.
- Pour in mugs and serve.
You can use fresh turmeric and ginger root for the recipe and the result is slightly stronger, but I find the powders to be more practical and almost always have them in the pantry. If you do use fresh roots, strain before serving.