Oh London! London always will have a special place in my heart. It was the first city I ever visited in Europe. My first trans-Atlantic flight. My first abroad traveling solo trip.
And I fell in love, HARD! The charm and bustle of the city was everything I hoped it would be and I made the most of it.—visiting historic buildings and galleries (I saw paintings that I had only ever seen pictures of and walked around sites that were older than the United States!!!), wandering street markets, riding the underground, enjoying afternoon tea and a pint at a pub after class, then strolling through parks and along The Mall to see Buckingham freakin’ Palace!
So in honour of Prince Harry’s royal wedding tomorrow, we had to start getting in the spirit with some easy, peasy afternoon tea cookies.
These crescents are simple to make and essentially short bread cookies made with a bit of almond flour and dusted with powdered sugar.
Each bite is sweet, buttery, and a brilliant compliment to the gentle bouquet of your favorite tea blend.
So bake up a batch then settle in to enjoy the nuptials of Harry and Meghan with your crescents and a cuppa in the wee hours of the morning here in the states. Cheers!
Gluten-Free, Vegan Almond Tea Crescents
- 1 cup of vegan butter substitute, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 tsp of almond extract)
- 2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (with xantham gum)
- 1 cup almond flour
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla (or extracts).
- Add both flours and mix until well combined.
- The mixture will be crumbly. Spoon large tbsp-worths of the mixture into your hand and shape into a gentle crescent. (The gluten-free dough doesn’t have the elasticity and malleability of traditional dough so you’re crescents may not be as crescent-y.)
- Place each crescent on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and dust with powdered sugar before serving.