Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Apple + Chicken Bake
These apples aren’t going to eat themselves! As you may have picked up on, I am much more confident in my baking skills than my cooking skills, especially since I prefer vegetables to meat. But occasionally I’ve got to show my man that I can make it happen, thus a fun new date night dinner recipe!
This dish has got a bit of everything—something sweet and crunchy, something savory and meaty, all swimming in a warm, comforting broth. Mmm!
We paired it a small salad and side of rice. And let me tell ya…the extra broth was excellent spooned over a bed of rice. My favorite part was enjoying the crunchy apple slices strewn throughout the sauce. They were little sweet bursts amongst the savory.
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE APPLE + CHICKEN BAKE
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cooking apples (like Jonagolds), cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp dairy-free butter substitute
- 1 tbsp gluten-free flour
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- In large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil then add chicken cooking until golden, roughly 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate reserving the drippings in the pan.
- Add the onions and apples to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook until beginning to soften.
- In small bowl, whisk the chicken broth and honey mustard until well combined then add to the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet then transfer to the oven until chicken if fully cooked, roughly 20 minutes. Check them by slicing on in the thickest part.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the butter and flour to form a paste.
- Transfer the chicken, apples and onions to a serving platter before bringing the remaining juices to a simmer.
- Slowly whisk in the butter and flour paste. Allow to boil and thicken for about 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Season with salt and pepper to taste then pour over chicken and serve.