Today we totally got transported back to our college days! There are some tastes and smells that immediately trigger memories and with each bite of these chocolate lava cakes, we were 22 and 23, sitting on our giant couch (dubbed “the pit”), eating pizza, and watching Entourage with our friends on Sunday night.
Now picture this: Mini chocolate cakes, filled with chocolate, then topped with a scoop of ice cream and chocolate syrup. It’s a chocolate-lovers’ dream!
Once the almost fudge-y cake walls are comprised by a spoon, a stream of ooey-gooey, warm chocolate lava slowly flows from inside, melding with the cold ice cream. STOP IT! It’s almost too much to handle.
If I had to describe chocolate lava cakes in one word—addictive. I would join Chocoholics Anonymous but that would make me a quitter. And I am not a quitter.
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKES
- 1 cup dairy-free baking chocolate bars (like Guittard - They’re dark chocolate does not contain milk, but the chocolate is processed on equipment that also processed milk chocolate)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
*Optional toppings: ice cream, chocolate syrup, raspberries, strawberries, caramel sauce, whip cream, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and grease half the molds of a 12-count muffin pan.
- Add butter and chocolate chips in a large glass bowl then microwave on medium in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval. When completely melted and smooth, set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks together.
- Add the flour and egg mixtures to the large chocolate bowl, stirring until well combined and smooth.
- Evenly spoon the batter between the greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the sides appear firm, even though the tops will still look soft.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tin for 1-2 minutes before carefully guiding a plastic knife around the edge of each cake to release it from the mold. The tops of the cakes will now be the bottom. Add toppings (optional) and serve immediately.