Well I think I’m finally on the up-and-up cold-wise and thank goodness. And not a minute too soon either, I’ve gotten too comfortable spending the days in my pajamas on the couch, and now that my Netflix queue is almost empty it’s time to get back to work.
All these soup-filled days have had me thankful for my amazing husband and his killer immune system. LeBraun has been taking care of me for the past week. He was down for a day while I went down like a sack of potatoes.
My precious man has been filling up my humidifier, making sure I take my meds, heating up my hot pack, putting together my daily couch bed, and making dinner for me. In sickness and in health right? He’s definitely living up to his end of the bargain. :)
Well I wanted to do something special for my love so I combined a couple of his favorite things to create Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Pretzel Brownies.
Since I’m still recovering I did use some shortcuts like boxed brownies instead of making them from scratch, but they’re still good eating!
The bottom pretzel layer adds crunch to the moist brownies. Then topped with creamy chocolate frosting…YUM!
I made these for LeBraun but I’m not going to lie that I kinda made them for me too. Y’all know I have a sweet tooth. Haha
Adding a base and topping are a simply way to take simple, delicious brownies (whether they are boxed or not) and upgrading them to something unique and different.
I know Valentine’s Day was last week but you can never show and tell someone how much you love them too many times. And I LOVE my LeBraun!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Pretzel Brownies
- 2 cups gluten-free pretzels, crushed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute, melted (like Earth Balance)
- 1 box gluten-free, dairy-free brownie mix
- Additional ingredients listed on box
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter substitute, softened
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life), melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp alternative milk of choice (I used almond)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In 9x13-inch pan (I prefer glass), combine crust ingredients mixing well.
- Gently press into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake 8 minutes and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare brownie batter according to box.
- Pour and carefully spread the batter over the crust.
- Bake according to times directed by packaging, testing by inserting a toothpick in the center until it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Lastly, prepare frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar, butter substitute, chocolate chips on low until combined.
- Add milk 1 tbsp at a time, mixing well between each addition until frosting has reached desired consistency and texture.
- Frost, slice and serve. Yum!