Did you know on this day in 1912, the very first OREO was sold to a grocer in Hoboken, New Jersey? Now March 6 recognized as National OREO Day!
It must have been destined that my boyfriend, whose favorite sweet is the OREO Cookie Sandwich, was born on this day many years later. Today I’ll be celebrating both!
People may disagree on the best way to enjoy the world’s best-selling cookie, but there is no wrong way. In fact, there are thousands of ways an OREO can be savored—coated in chocolate, deep fried, crumbled, stacked, baked…and some ways that haven’t been invented yet. Since my boyfriend’s second favorite sweets are brownies, I wanted a recipe to combine both as a special treat!
You can make brownies from scratch, but I recommend using a brownie mix to save some time. Companies like Betty Crocker, Glutino, Bob’s Red Mill and Pillsbury all make gluten-free brownie mixes which are widely stocked across grocery chains.
Fun OREO fact: The original recipe included pork fat for the creamy center. Fortunately that is not the case anymore. Unfortunately OREOs are not gluten-free (but there are many alternatives available now); however, OREOs have been kosher since 1997. :)
BROWNIE & OREO TRIFLE
- 1 box of dairy-free brownie mix (Make sure to read directions on the box for any additional ingredients you may need.)
- 3 cups soy or almond milk
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese (like Tofutti)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter substitute, softened
- 1 (3.5 oz) box of dairy-free chocolate pudding (like European Gourmet Organics Chocolate Cooked Pudding and Pie Filling Mix)
- 2 (12 oz) tub of Cool Whip alternative (like So Delicious Dairy Free CocoWhip!)
- 1 package of OREOs, crushed (Save a few for garnish)
- Prepare and bake brownies as directed on box. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar, blending until creamy.
- In another bowl, blend pudding and milk until it becomes thick.
- Add pudding mix to cream cheese mix.
- Fold in 1 container of Cool Whip alternative. Set aside.
- Cut the brownies into bite-sized squares.
- Begin assembling the trifle by putting down a single layer of brownies on the bottom of the dish. Put half the chocolate pudding/cream cheese mixture on top, followed by a layer of crushed OREOs. Lastly, put half of the tub of Cool Whip. Repeat layers (refer to illustration above). Sprinkle a few crushed OREOs and garnish with whole OREOs.*
*If you want to make individual dessert shooters, divide each mixture by the number of shooter glasses and layer as explained in step 7.