The countdown is officially on. We’ve made it to the final stretch. Christmas is five days away which means we are in full-on Christmas mode here—snacking on candy canes, hot chocolate and gingerbread everything!
I love the crunch of traditional gingerbread, especially as a side to my afternoon cuppa, but whenever we can make something in doughnut form, it will be made in doughnut form. :)
It’s a quick, fun twist on a holiday classic.
Richly spiced, moist, and fluffy.
To make this recipe even simpler, we used a box of King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Gingerbread Mix*.
Because we’re using a store-bought mix, this five ingredient recipe is easy peasy lemon squeeze and perfect for any last minute baking you need to get done.
The mix is certified gluten-free, kosher, and dairy-free (substitute butter for butter alternative or oil). Instructions the box.
The recipe calls for 3 eggs and therefore is not vegan.
*Follow the box directions to turn this mix into cakes, roll-out cookies, or cupcakes.
What is everyone baking this weekend for Christmas? And if you’re searching for last minute inspiration, I’ve been sharing some of my favorites!
As always I would love to know if you gave any of these recipes a try. Please message me or take me on Instagram with #heystudioist!
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE GINGERBREAD DOUGHNUTS
yields: 12-14 doughnuts
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 (13oz) box of King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Gingerbread Mix
- Ingredients on the box (4 tbsp butter alternative or 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 cup water, 3 large eggs, and 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder)
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon alternative milk
- Gingerbread Cookies, crushed
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Cinnamon Spice
- For the doughnuts: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a standard size 6-cup doughnut pan with oil. If you have a 12-cup donut pan, cooking time may need to be adjusted.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mix and box-listed ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan filling each mold roughly 3/4 full.
- Shake to level then allow batter to rest in mold for 7 minutes. Cover remaining batter in bowl with paper towel.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed.
- Allow doughnuts to sit in the pan until cool enough to handle, roughly 3 minutes.
- With a plastic knife, carefully work your way around each mold to separate the doughnut from the pan.
- Carefully place on wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Repeat the process until all batter is used.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze. Whisk all the glaze ingredients together until well combined and smooth.
- Once doughnuts have cooled completely, spread icing on top.
- Sprinkle with crushed gingerbread cookies or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or other spices.