What do you get for people who have everything? Homemade goodies of course.
If you follow @studioist and watch my stories, you probably saw that we made some house calls this week delivering Christmas goodies to our friends’ houses, and if you were wondering what each treat was, this is one of them!
Since this week I’v been sharing some of my favorite homemade holiday treats/gifts, it wouldn’t be right to not include these crazy simple, insanely delicious old-school fave—Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Christmas CRACK-ers!
I’ve been holding out sharing because I love surprising people with this recipe at holiday events, but I like you guys so I’m ready to share.
For this holiday classic it’s all about the layers. A layer of crunchy crackers coated in a caramel-y sauce, topped with chocolate…but wait there’s more…then finished off with a topping of choice, in our versions, peppermint candy canes!
I’m not sure why peppermint is considered a Christmas flavor, but it is and we are sure grateful it is! We like to think it’s because peppermint is crisp, cooling, and fresh just like the outside air (providing you don’t live below the equator where December is warm).
As with most of the recipe we share, the toppings of this recipe are totally customizable. You can switch out candy canes for another favorite candy of choice or have no additional toppings. You do you.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Christmas CRACK-ers have been a long time fave of mine because 1) they are incredibly quick and simple to make. Typically less than 20 minutes of making and baking, then just playing the waiting game till everything cools and hardens which is why I like to make it right before bed, that way I am not tempted to indulge before it’s completely set, and 2) each bite is like a flavor bomb in your mouth—crunchy, creamy, crisp, sweet, salty…is Heaven a flavor? To describe this sweet treat it should be. And 3) It’s a great way to use up a half empty bag of crackers or candy canes after the holidays.
I’m basically drooling after writing this and am going to have to make my way back to the kitchen for a smidgen more, despite the fact that I’ve eaten about half of the one I made yesterday. :)
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Christmas CRACK-ers
- 1 (4.4 oz) box of Glutino Gluten Free Original Crackers
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 8 tbsp vegan butter substitute (like Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life)
- 5 candy canes, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 7x11-inch baking dish with parchment paper that extends at least 1 inch past the top edges of the dish.
- Line the bottom parchment in the dish with Glutino crackers, fitting as many as possible in a single layer—essentially creating a bottom “crust.”
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring brown sugar and butter substitute to a boil. Stir then allow to boil 3-4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and pour over cracker layer in prepared dish. Gently spread the caramel mixture to cover the cracker layer if needed.
- Place dish in oven and bake for 7-8 minutes, until the caramel has set.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle the chocolate chips across the top in an even layer.
- Place dish back in oven and bake for 2-3 minutes, until the chips are melted enough to spread.
- Using a spatula, spread the chocolate chip to coat the entire top of the dish.
- Sprinkle with candy canes pieces.
- Place dish in fridge and allow to set. I typically chill it overnight.
- When it’s cooled and hardened, grab the edges of the parchment and lift the sweet treat from the dish, placing it on the counter.
- Using a bit of hand force or a small mallet, break the sheet into 1-2 bite sized pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
n1. For the holidays we chose to make a version with crushed candy canes for festive flair, but you can use whatever topping you like—other candies like bite size candies or crushed versions of larger candies all work great and some even come in festive colors or flavors.