It’s Friday night and that means date night. But after a long week and with the mid-winter chill outside, a movie night on the couch is perfect!
And who could watch a movie without popcorn! Popcorn and movies go together like Bonnie & Clyde, whiskey & coke, even peanut butter and jelly.
Now we’re not talking about the over-salted, slightly stale popcorn from the concession stand. We’re talking about taking a humble bag of popcorn and turning it up to 11!
Sweet and salty. Crunchy and sugar-coated. A delicious holiday sweet treat to enjoy with your favorite Christmas movie.
We definitely have ones we watch every year like Christmas Vacation, A Muppets’ Christmas Carol, Elf, and Christmas with the Kranks.
Tonight’s movie: Die Hard
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN BUTTERSCOTCH POPCORN
- 6-8 cups popped lightly salted popcorn
- 2 tbsp vegan butter substitute
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butterscotch chips (like Lieber’s)
*For a non-vegan version, simply substitute the butter and butterscotch chips (like Hershey's Chipits) with their non-vegan counterparts.
- Prepare popcorn according to directions on package.
- In the meantime, line a baking sheets with parchment paper and combine sugars and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Melt butter substitute in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring continuously until butter browns.
- Toss popped popcorn and butter substitute in a large bowl then sift sugar mixture over popcorn.
- Spread popcorn on the prepared baking sheet.
- Melt butterscotch chips in microwave-safe bowl on power 7 in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval until the chips have completely melted and the batter is smooth.
- Drizzle over popcorn and allow butterscotch to set.
- Transfer to a large bowl, breaking apart any large chunks, and enjoy!