Gluten-Free, Vegan Chocolate-Covered Orange Slices
When I was younger, one of the best parts of Christmas morning was opening my stocking from Santa because I knew there would be a delicious, creamy and tangy chocolate orange waiting for me! Of course now being mostly dairy-free and trying to eat healthier, the ones from the store don’t cut it anymore. Ya know, 99% chocolate with 1% orange flavoring. Let’s try 50% chocolate, 50% orange slice.
I love these flavors together, especially in the winter, and they make a fabulous treat for a homemade holiday or Valentine’s Day gift. Why pay for a company to deliver chocolate dipped fruits when you can make them yourself in less than 30 minutes.
You can store any extras in the fridge for a few days, but these are seriously addicting I would be surprised if you do have any left to store.
One quick note: Careful not to squeeze the oranges too hard, otherwise the juice will drop in the melted chocolate, causing the chocolate to seize and become a hard mess. No one wants that!
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN CHOCOLATE COVERED ORANGE SLICES
- 3 Mandarin or Clementine oranges, peeled and separated
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil/shortening, optional (1)
- Sea Salt
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler on medium-low heat.
- Gently pat each slice with a paper towel before dipping to make sure each slice is dry (2).
- Dip each slice halfway into the melted chocolate then place on baking sheet.
- Lightly sprinkle each slice with sea salt.
- Place baking sheet in fridge until chocolate hardens, about 10 minutes.
- Some people like to use a bit of shortening because it helps keep the chocolate smooth, I personally don’t use it. It’s just personal preference.
- The juices in the orange can cause the chocolate to seize and become a hard mess.