Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Black Bean Quinoa Burger
Somehow just like that we’re a few days into February. For some, especially Southerners, the start of February brings the biggest game of the year—The Super Bowl.
But this game day is about more than the final score and corporate advertising, it’s about people coming together to celebrate with one another over cold drinks and delicious food!
Despite growing up in Tennessee, I couldn’t care less about football as a sport and as for Super Bowl parties, they are notorious for not having anything a gluten-free, dairy-free person such as myself can enjoy. That is minus chips and salsa.
Whatever your views our on the sport, commercialism in ‘Merica and the sport itself, or tacky parties are, you can enjoy this delicious, mouthwatering veggie burger without regret!
Burgers are traditional group gathering, party foods. They’re hearty enough to sustain people, completely customizable with toppings and condiments, and overall just wonderful!
My personal favorite veggie burger in Nashville is the Marathon burger from Burger Up, which is a quinoa and black bean burger, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and cilantro lime crème fraîche. It’s hands-down the best around and since we’re always traveling I’m not always able to enjoy one when the craving hits, we decided to make our own.
Our version has a bit more spice in the patty itself, but overall the consistency is fairly similar and a good alternative to the original.
Note: We always panfry our burgers since we don't have a grill, but if you want to try grilling it just place a piece of foil on the grill to prevent the burger from falling apart.
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE BLACK BEAN QUINOA BURGER
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup black or tricolored quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (I love Ian’s GF Italian Style Panko Crumbs)
- 1/4 cup capsicum pepper, minced
- 2 tbsp onion, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic mince
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Olive oil for pan frying
For Sriracha Mayo:
- 1 cup light mayo
- 3 tbsp Sriracha, additional to taste
- 1 tbsp garlic mince
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, optional but recommended
- In saucepan bring water and quinoa to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- In a large bowl, coarsely mash the black bean with a fork to create a paste.
- Add cooked quinoa and remaining ingredients to the bowl with the black beans.
- Mix with your hands until well combined.
- Divide and form the mixture into 5-6 evenly-sized patties.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Panfry the patties roughly 3-6 minutes or until heated through.