Did you all know there is a difference between frosting and icing? I’ve always used them interchangeably, but apparently they are actually different. Icing is traditionally “thinner and glossier” and tastes more sugary while frosting is “thicker and fluffier.” The more you know, right?
With that in mind, Cream cheese frosting is by far my favorite type of frosting! It’s fluffy, smooth and so delicious you’ll want to put it on everything! Which I have…:) Cakes, cupcakes, cookies, cinnamon buns, you name it. Plus if a dessert involves gingerbread, red velvet, pumpkin or carrot in anyway, don’t question it, just put cream cheese frosting on it fo’ real!
Need something to put it on? Try it on this amazing chocolate cake!
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
yields: 2 cups
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, softened (like Tofutti cream cheese)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, softened (like Earth Balance)
- 2 1/2-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Gluten-free flour (optional, n1)
- In a large bowl, whisk cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- Add powered sugar in 1/2 cup increments till you reach desired thickness.
- Refrigerate remaining icing in airtight container.
- n1. You can replace 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar with flour to help thicken the mix without continuing to sweeten it.