It’s August! Somehow once again Summer is coming to a close. People are heading back home, gearing up for school, and soaking in the last few weeks before Labor Day.
Now even though Summer must come to a close, we can’t forget to take advantage of these last days. Live them to the fullest you know. And by that I mean ICE CREAM! It’s hot outside and the best remedy for that is chilled, creamy sweet treat.
There’s something about this childhood favorite that brings back all the excitement and freedom of Summer as we experienced it as kids. No school. No schedule. Just doing what you wanted on your own time.
Whether you are looking for something fun for the kids to do while their still hanging out or if you’re just a big kid looking to relive some of the magic of Summers past, these are fun to make (and enjoy) together.
The cookies are delicious on their own, but when the ice cream of your choice is sandwiched in the middle…dannnnggg!
Now there’s nothing wrong with classic black-and-white chocolate cookies and vanilla ice cream, but the ice cream you use can really elevate this dessert. For example, raspberry or cherry really compliment the chocolate cookies. Creamier selections like cardamom cashew or even mac nut take these to a whole ‘nother level.
I love how simple these are to make. You do have to have some patience to allow the ice cream to set back once it’s sandwiched in the cookies, but the cookies are simple as you just adjust a simple boxed cake mix. Less time baking and more time munching!
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE ICE CREAM COOKIE SANDWICHES
- 1 box Devils Food cake mix (like Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Gluten Free Cake)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- Powdered sugar
- Ice cream of choice (I love So Delicious Dairy Free CashewMilk Vanilla—classic but scrumptious!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add powdered sugar to shallow dish and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, and oil until well combined.
- Spoon out 1-inch dough bars and roll each in powdered sugar until coated.
- Place each ball on the prepared baking sheet. Leave in ball form. Do not flatten.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until just set.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Lay out a few cellophane squares to wrap each sandwich individually.
- Scoop ice cream onto a cookie and gently squish with the top cookie.
- Wrap tightly in the cellophane.
- Freeze until set then enjoy!