Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie Cake Bars
Can’t decide on what dessert to bring to your next holiday party? Get the best of everything with this easy, layered sweet treat. It’s part cake, part bars, part pie, and 100% delicious!
Layered desserts are impressive looking and often do take time and talent to pull off, but this recipe is straight-forward and quite simple. Plus you get to use a pre-made cake mix box direct from the store (#timesaving).
Each bar explodes with the creaminess you anticipate and love from pumpkin pie, supported by a dense, moist layer of yellow cake, and topped with crunchy, crumbled cake-y goodness. The colors and flavors scream “IT’S FALL!” What more can you ask for in a crowd-pleasing dessert?
If I were you I would stop reading and get to making. Now go, go, GO!
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE PUMPKIN PIE CAKE BARS
For First Layer:
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (like Betty Crocker’s gluten-free yellow cake or Glutino old fashioned yellow cake)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute, melted
- 1 large egg
For Second Layer:
- 1 (29 oz) can of pure pumpkin (not pumpkin mix)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup alternative milk (I prefer soy for baking, but almond works great too)
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup reserved box cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Reserve and set aside 1 cup of the yellow cake mix straight from the box.
- In a medium bowl whisk together cake mix, butter substitute and 1 egg.
- Spread the remaining mixture evenly across the bottom of a 9x13” glass dish.
- In another bowl, combine all second layer ingredients, stirring until well combined.
- Pour and spread the second layer mixture evenly atop the first layer in the glass dish.
- Lastly in a separate bowl, combine the topping ingredients and distribute atop the two layers in the glass dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes then allow to cool before slicing into bars and serving.