Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Gourmet Popcorn Mix
Rainy days call for movie night, am I right? And what is a movie night without popcorn.
Mix it up with this sweet & salty take on a gourmet-style popcorn. The sweetness of the caramel, the saltiness of the popcorn, the crunch of the roasted nuts and the melt-iness of the chocolate will have you wondering how you can sneak some in on your next trip to the theatre.
This recipe does require a fair bit of drying time so plan ahead - make it a date night!
Also great for a gift! My boyfriend loves it so much, we made extra batches and gave them as Christmas presents last year.
If those aren’t enough of a reason to make it, National Popcorn Day is January 19. Enjoy!
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE GOURMENT POPCORN MIX
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1 1/2 cups of mixed nuts (or nuts of choice)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup butter (like Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Spread the popcorn and nuts onto multiple large roasting pans.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup in saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for two minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda, which will foam up, trap air bubbles and help create a softer texture.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and nuts. Stir well to coat.
- Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to parchment paper. Leave to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate chips with shortening in double boiler.
- Drizzle chocolate over popcorn. Let dry for 3-ish hours or until hardened. Break into pieces and eat away!
LIFE HACK: If you use popcorn packs, don’t rip the bag open immediately after taking out of the microwave. Turn the bags upside down over a bowl and gently shake. The unpopped kernels will fall through the opening in the pack. Volia!