Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
I hate to say it but my winter body is coming along nicely. BLERG!
I keep reminding myself that our wedding is in 2018, which is less than a month away btw, and I’ve always had a sweet tooth. It’s especially strong when I am stressing so December is the perfect storm.
Baking is always one thing that can calm me down. It’s my “yoga”…well in calmness, not in exercise obviously. Though if you’ve ever whipped something by hand you’ll know what a forearm workout that can be. :)
All this is beside the point. We’re here today to celebrate the deliciousness that is chocolate crinkle cookies. Fudgy chocolate, crisp edge cookies with a melted coating of powdered sugar. They’re dang good. DANG GOOD!
And since you use a store-bought cake mix box to make them, they are incredibly easy. Perfect for holiday baked good exchange, a great way to keep the kids busy (though the powdered sugar can be messy), and a extra special cookie to leave out for Santa.
Each cookie is a dream of rich chocolate with soft and chewy centers surrounded by slightly crunchy edges. And if you want them extra fudge use one less egg. Then they will basically fall apart in your mouth. Note: They were gone before I finished writing this post.
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE CRINKLE COOKIES
- 1 (15 oz) box gluten-free chocolate cake mix
- 2 - 3 eggs*, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
*For softer, fudge-like, almost brownie-like cookies use 2 eggs. Note: The cookies will be much flatter. The two egg version is pictured here.
- Whisk together the cake mix, eggs and oil until well combined.
- Cover and chill dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and scoop powdered sugar into a small bowl.
- When chilled, form into 1” balls and roll each ball in the powdered sugar until well coated.
- Space the balls on the prepared baking sheet, roughly 2.5 - 3” apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.