It’s so exciting that coconut products are popping up everywhere now—coconut flour, coconut sugar, coconut water, coconut shampoo, etc, because I’ve always been a lover of all things coconut! My dad used to drill into coconuts for me to drain the water from. It’s great the water is more readily available now without the trouble of power tools. Though I could never resist scooping out and eating the sweet, fibrous insides of this tropical dry drupe. Mmm!
Truth be told if coconut can be added to a recipe, I will be adding it.
These coconut macaroons are a superb way to showcase coconut as the star instead of as a cast member. Oh la la!
Each macaroon’s crispy, golden outside and moist, irresistible inside make it the ideal weekend treat, midweek pick me up or shareable sweet treat (particularly for holidays)!
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts, dried fruit or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites, sugar, salt, and extracts until frothy.
- Fold in coconut to egg white mixture until well combined.
- Add optional ingredient(s) if added them.
- Scoop the mixture on a baking sheet in 1” balls, spaced 1 1/2” apart.
- Bake until the balls are golden brown, 20-25 minutes.