Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Bourbon-Soaked Bread Pudding
I’ve got two facts for you today.
No. 1: Did you know that "Mardi Gras" is “Fat Tuesday” in French? It was surprising to me that not many people made that connection so I thought I would share.
No. 2: The number one most wasted household food item is bread. People waste almost 900,000 tonnes of bread every year! Crazy, right?
How about we put some effort into utilizing those stale pieces and end of loafs. The ones that are discarded without a second thought are actually very useful!
Stale bread be used everything from stuffings to breadcrumbs and bisques to my personal favorite—bread pudding!!!
With Fat Tuesday upon us, I plan on chowing down on these sweet, gluten-free, dairy-free bourbon-soaked bread puddings!
Warm, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth with a kick of Kentucky nectar. Let’s do this!
BOURBON-SOAKED BREAD PUDDING
For Bread Pudding:
- 2/3 cup canned coconut cream
- 3 cups of stale gluten free bread, cubed
- 3 tbsp golden raisins
- 1 egg, room temperature and slightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
For Bourbon Sauce:
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegan butter substitute
- 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp bourbon of choice
- 2 tsp coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease two (16oz) ramekins or one (8x8) pan.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, bring coconut cream to just before a boil, stirring frequently. Set aside and allow to cool 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg, whisking until well combined.
- Add the bread and raisins to saucepan of warm coconut cream and carefully mix till well coated.
- Add the egg/spice mixture to the saucepan mixture, gently mixing well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared ramekins or pan. The mixture won’t spill or expand out so fill the cooking vessels!
- Bake 30-40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring all sauce ingredients to boil, stirring continuously until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the sauce evenly over each bread pudding ramekin and serve warm.