Do you love apple pie? Like any good American, your answer should have been a resounding “yes!” Well this is Russia’s version of apple pie.
I made this once for fun, but quickly realized how delicious it was and now it’s my go-to for an easy and insanely good sweet treat. Something a little different but with the comfort of apples, cinnamon, and sweet batter. But in a upside-down sort of way.
It’s amazing how much flavor this 5-ingredient recipe has. The focus is on the apples and the spices that bring out their best!
Once the pan is filled with crisp, chopped apples the sweet batter is poured over and seeps down filling the spaces between the slices. It’s as simple as that! It’s free from the stress of remember the proper order of weaving the lattice on American apple pie. Just straight-forward apple pie flavors ready to eat in just over an hour. Let me know what you think!
Note: During our trip to Russia this summer we were actually served homemade apple sharlotka cake by my brother’s roommate’s mother. So it’s not just an associated or old school recipe no one makes anymore, they actually do love it over there. :)
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE APPLE SHARLOTKA CAKE
- 5 large, green apples, peeled, cored and chopped into slices
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Oil or vegan butter substitute, for greasing
- Cinnamon sugar, as topping after baking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 9x2” round cake pan with parchment paper and lightly grease parchment and sides of pan with oil or butter.
- Place the apples into the cake pan.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar for roughly 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Add vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add flour by 1/4 cups, mixing between each addition until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly over the apples in the pan, gently shaking the pan allowing the batter to move between the apple layers.
- Bake for roughly 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- When cooled, run a knife along the edges of the pan and carefully flip the cake onto plate or cake stand.
- Remove the parchment to reveal the bottom, which is now the top.
- Generously sprinkle with cinnamon sugar to taste. When completely cooled, lightly dust with powdered sugar (optional).
Serve by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.