My parents’ house was as busy as ever this holiday season! With family staying in the house, friends dropping by and a endless parade of food. Did I mention the house itself is build comfortably for three? It sure was a lot easier to get everyone together when we were little.
Anyway, after about a week of constant entertaining we needed an activity we didn’t need to direct. CUE: birdseed ornament time!
Plus if the weather is nice, you can send everyone outside to make them, effectively eliminating any stray birdseed mess! Quiet time inside and no mess! Win, win!
DIY: BIRDSEED ORNAMENTS
- 4 cups birdseed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- Parchment paper
- Unsharpened pencil
- Assorted cookie cutters
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, water and corn syrup together until well combined.
- Add birdseed and mix well.
- Pour mixture onto parchment and press the mixture with your hands until it’s compact (roughly 3/4” thick).
- Press the cookie cutters into the mixture. Remove unused birdseed mixture and press onto additional parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Leave all cookie cutters immersed in the mixture, use an unsharpened pencil to make a hole near the top of each shape and leave to dry overnight.
- Remove the cookie cutters, flip the shapes and let them dry. Dry time will depend on the thickness of the mixture.
- Slip twine through hole and tie together. Hang on branches and watch as birds come to enjoy their treat!
Note: I adjusted the original recipe because I don’t like to use or eat gelatin.